Friday, July 5, 2013

Meknès, Morocco

We we left the beautiful coastal city of Casablanca for the more mountainous region of Meknès. Meknés is about 35 miles away from Fes (Fez) and it is a pretty good size city about 785,000 people live here. I'm in the Hamria neighborhood which is in the new part of town. The Medina (old city) as it is now (for the most part) was built in the early 14th century and was the imperial city of Morocco under Moulay Ismail when he was the Sultanate of Morocco. Under Moulay Ismail's rule many mosques were built and the city became known as the "City of a Hundred Minarets."

We got to our apartment and decided who would stay in each room. 

Our salon or living room. As you can see it can comfortably fit 20 people. Hospitality is BIG in Arab culture. 

This is the view from the kitchen when I wash my dishes. :)

I took a video of the apartment I'll figure out how I can post that. 

That night we got settled in and unpacked. Dinner was waiting for us on the stove. We have a WONDERFUL housekeeper named Jameela and she takes excellent care if us. :)

The next morning we took a grande taxi to the school and took our placement tests. 

That evening we went for a walking tour of the city and had group meeting. Our tour guide, Mohsin treated us all to a fresh juice. I got peach and orange. It was soooo yummy. 


I know I'm a few days behind but I'm trying to catch up. :)


Kayla نور



  

No comments:

Post a Comment